Wednesday, March 9, 2016 | By: Lisa LaMendola

What Is A Writer's Life Like?

Are you conjuring up ideas of not ever having to do real work again?  That you can work one day a week and play the other six?  Or are you imagining staring at a blank screen with no words ever coming out and your bills piling up?  Well all of that is true, and none of that is true.

You see, writing is a joy so even if you get writer's block you would never stare at a blank screen for long.  Instead you would do something to help inspire you.  And that coffee on the porch?  Yea, that sounds nice but I don't drink coffee and while a nice cup of tea sounds goods sometimes, most writers actually do write most of the time.

When we aren't writing for you, the client, we are writing for ourselves.  We either have a blog post to write, an E-zine article to finish, or a book to work on.  We love to write so much that the office is never closed.  It's true that we are challenged by it, frustrated by it, and inspired by it.  For one thought can turn into a completely new thought adding to that endless list of writing ideas every writer has on their desk.

Right now I'm reading Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. I have read this book before, but I am reading it again for a class I am going to take next month.  So why do I need to take a class on something I already know?  When a writer isn't writing, he or she is reading or learning or teaching.  While I am not quite ready for the teaching role, I am always ready to learn more.  Since most of the paid writing gigs I get are from my work as a copywriter (taking your thoughts and putting them into words that sell), ghostwriter (taking your dreaded draft and turning it into an actual book fit for a publisher to consider), or web designer (for budding entrepreneurs), I try to keep my mind open to new ways to work with others.  The more tools I have to work with, the better the finished product becomes.

I don't want you to think all a writer does is write.  We also walk the dog, do the grocery shopping, clean the house, do Pro Bono work, volunteer, and sometimes sit on that front porch drinking a cup of tea while the sun sets.  I don't think that a writer works any less than they would if they were working for a boss, in fact I think we probably work more because we love what we do so much!  But being a writer also gives us the opportunity to see the world in a whole new light, and appreciate the little things in life.

So what is the real persona of a writer?  In one word, freedom.  Writer's are the epitome of freedom.  We do what we love when we want and don't have a boss to report to.  However, writing isn't for everyone.  If you don't work well on your own and need someone to guide you then you need a boss.  However, if you can be organized enough with yourself that you can bring structure to you new found business just by being you, then don't let that writing idea get away from you.

Even if you are only looking to write a book in your spare time for now, then just write.   Because writing, my friend, takes you into a whole new dimension.

0 comments:

Post a Comment